daisysaffron

daisysaffron

It's the Bee's Knees!

— feeling bad egg
There's a Frog in My Throat: 440 Animal Sayings a Little Bird Told Me - Loreen Leedy, Pat Street

This is a fantastic book! I stumbled upon the book when at the thrift store. It has 440 "animal sayings" that explain the figurative language of similes, metaphors, idioms, and proverbs that adults say. These type of sayings like "to play cat and mouse" and "catty remarks" are sometimes difficult for children to understand, so this book is great for learning phrases. I even learned some myself! The kid friendly way the book portrays the information (with humorous and telling illustrations) is very helpful and well thought out. I believe that this would be a perfect book for ELLs as well! I would use this in my class for a study on figurative language. Because this book only includes animal related figurative language, I would have the students find more sayings (between 1 and 10 based on grade level) and do illustrations for most of the sayings like it is done in the book. I would then bind the pages to make a class book. I would make sure that no student used the same saying as another. Overall, this is a fantastic book and I highly recommend it to any teacher!

Guided Reading: P