daisysaffron

daisysaffron

Ben Rides On (To the Top of My List)

Ben Rides On - Matt  Davies

This wonderful and beautifully illustrated book tells of a boy named Ben who has a super cool, brand new bike that the school bully steals from him. After school, Ben finds his banged up bike, but also sees the bully hanging on a branch over a cliff about to fall off. After much deliberation, Ben makes the right choice to help the bully even though he has been mean to him, making this book a great one for teaching manners and character to young (and old) students. I would personally use this in the classroom for many different reasons. It opens up a discussion for bullying, for making good decisions, and for safety. Bicycles in general offer up a lot of learning opportunities: physics, rotational motion, STEM activities, inclined planes, etc. A teacher could also do some sort of typical "after-reading" book activity like summarizing, sequencing, etc, but change it to incorporate a bicycle into the worksheet/activity.

A.R. Level 3.6

Lexile Level: AD730L

I personally recommended: Ages 2-10+

I love this!

In the front of the book on the info page, it says "In books, kids do crazy things, like... ride a bicycle without protecting their heads. In real life, you should always remember to wear your helmet when riding your bike"